Friday, February 22

changes...

when is a personal assistant not a personal assistant?! My assumption was a personal assistant relates to the business, working for a publisher, attending to business matters such as arranging meetings, accommodation, filing, updating contacts, doing office work and all the other business things a publisher may require. Um editing, marketing, sales support, getting coffees for his clients, organising and arranging business things...
But a personal assistant is not a personal organiser and things like dealing with his personal life such as paying bills, reconciling credit cards, chasing up debtors, getting the dry cleaning, doing whatever is needed in his house and being on call...didn't come up in the interview
So I stood up for myself; the same way a nanny is required to all the children's needs but cannot become a housekeeper otherwise she ends up cooking, ironing and playing house while trying to look after the children and I'm afraid it became the same situation here.
If I am collecting dry cleaning, paying bills, organising all the personal stuff; the tasks I really want to do...will probably have to be fitted in around that so...
Once again I am seeking employment and have learnt that standing up for myself in the beginning is better than resenting a role I didn't agree to.
So these are the tales of a PA nothing; all admin and very little creative work. I have my mind set on either finding a creative role or looking for some voluntary way of updating my marketing and communications skills. I am going to look at Seek Volunteer on Monday and go through the temp agencies and possibly find part time employment to tide me over...

No comments:

Post a Comment