Thursday, September 7

another day...

Today just feels like another day... it has been so quiet despite whether it is hot or not (today is freezing with these incredible winds; I was driving along and the car was rattling!) and it has been quiet like this for several weeks. I have been marketing, arranging dinners, designing an ad, introduced a spring special and gone to networking things - but it's just another day, same same thing!
This morning I walked in the pouring rain and wind from my car to buy books from a kindergarten to support a charity and spent an hour looking through boxes and boxes of books. What really saddened me was the fact that the school had asked for books, so they could sell them and donate the money to a designated charity and the books were some of the worst you could imagine. The school was upset by the fact that a fairly wealthy neighbourhood with really wealthy parents and a good school; donated torn, broken, drawn on, dusty, moth eaten books - the kind of books I would be ashamed to give to a worthy cause. I didn't even want to stick my hands in some of the boxes and I was disgusted that the more some people have, the less they want to give...
I did find some excellent books at the bottom of piles and boxes and gave a little more than I would normally for them!
Afterwards I met my Israeli friend for coffee at Gusto my favourite coffee place at Bondi Beach, he fixed the car (not sure what was actually wrong with it!) and then came to the shop.
It has been pouring with rain and grey since I have been here so have been organising the boxes in the back, had some lunch, responded to emails, arranged the free book section and made some calls.
I am going to a business breakfast next week, have been invited to several business talks and am looking at designs for the front of the shop...
I am meeting a freind tonight, going to a language class, and will spend the day reading and sorting out books in the back...

No comments:

Post a Comment